Vitamin B12 Deficiency- A Matter Of Concern
Vitamin B12 plays a vital role in producing red blood cells. It is a pivotal B vitamin that body needs. It is also termed as a Cobalamin. Many nutritionists suggest that people above the age of 14 should daily have more than 2.4 micrograms of vitamin B-12 through their diet.
What is Vitamin B12?
Like other B vitamins, Vitamin B12 is also dissolvable, termed as a water-soluble vitamin, and can easily pass through the bloodstream. A human body can retain Vitamin B12 for years together. Here is the list of some beneficial dietary sources of Vitamin B-12.
- Dairy products
Deficiency in Vitamin B12
With the increase of our age, the capacity of our body to absorb Vitamin B12 from diet starts declining. Thus the ffvefv is mostly figured out in adults than in young. Besides this, there are also some other reasons that are responsible for the deficiency. Know who are at high risk.
- People who are vegan suffer more from deficiency
- People who went through weight-loss surgery
- Intake of antacid drugs for a longer time
- People with Type 1 Diabetics and Type 2 Diabetics using Metformin
- People having poor eating habit
- Tingling in your hands, legs or feet,
- Loss of reflexes,
- Difficulty in walking and running,
- Recurrent mouth Ulcers and glossitis with a burning sensation,
- Muscle weakness,
- Pale Skin,
- Tiredness, and
- Loss of balance.
Test to Diagnose Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Conventional serum B12 blood test
- MMA test( methylmalonic acid)
- If MMA is high it is diagnosed that B12 level is low.
- Holotranscobalamin II test.
- If holotranscobalamin is high, it is diagnosed as a B12 deficiency.
Treating Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Here are some simple ways of treating Vitamin B12 deficiencies.
- Through Proper Dietary food sources: The direct source of Vitamin B12 is the animal source like beef, chicken, mutton, fish, etc. but if you are a vegan, you can have supplements of Vitamin B12. You should consume the RDA levels of Vitamin B12 according to your age.
- Proper Supplements: When you are diagnosed with Vitamin B12, low blood pressure or anemia, doctors may suggest you some Vitamin B12 supplements for starting as a routine.
- Immunization: Proper immunization is done if the level of the deficiency shoots high. It becomes necessary to inject high doses of Vitamin B12 for a quick recovery.
Vitamin B12 is a vitamin that should be maintained well in order to keep your body energized and healthy. Therefore, an adequate intake is necessary to keep the proper functioning of all body organs.